UNIT FOUR ESSAY QUESTIONS
THE FOLLOWING ARE EXAM QUESTIONS FOR YOUR NEXT UNIT TEST. TWO OF THESE QUESTIONS WILL BE ON THE EXAM; YOU WILL CHOOSE TO WRITE ON ONE
Analyze how THREE
of the following lead to the secession of
Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 and its aftermath
Dred-Scott Decision 1857
2. Analyze the extent in which the failure of Reconstruction (1865-1877) affected the economic, social, and political opportunities of former slaves.
3. Explain how and why the federal government changed as a result of the Civil War with respect to TWO of the following during the period 1861 – 1877
4. How did economic developments in the 1850s widen the division between the North and South?
5. "Slavery was the dominating reality of all Southern life"
Assess the validity of this generalization for TWO of the following aspects of Southern life from about 1840 to 1860: political, social, economic, and intellectual life.
6. Analyze the impact of TWO of the following on the success of Reconstruction in the South
7. Analyze the effectiveness of political compromise in reducing sectional tensions in the period 1820 to 1861.
8. Assess the impact of TWO of the following as causes of the Civil War
John Brown’s Raid on Harper’s Ferry
Panic of 1857
Dred Scott Decision
9. Assess the moral arguments and political actions of those opposed to the spread of slavery in the context of TWO of the following
Compromise of 1850